Friday, October 19, 2007

Defragging My Closet


Are you like me? Perhaps it takes a geek to appreciate this, but I love to defrag my computer. I like to sit there and watch while all the errant files are relocated to their proper place on my hard drive. And when it's done, it feels good.

I also like to defrag my house. Last night we started on a two day defrag of our master bedroom closet, which has become a depository for far too much junk. There are bags of stuff in there that were probably with us when we moved south in 1986. Unbelievable amount of junk.

I envision a walk in closet like you'd see in a closet organizer ad. Ain't gonna happen I know, but it WILL be organized. Lots of stuff set aside for Goodwill. An even bigger pile of crud to go to the landfill. How does one acquire so much junk?

I frequently set aside time to defrag my brain. To clear out all the crap that doesn't belong there. The negative memories, the sad stuff, the frustrating things and the maddening ones.

I don't need all that nasty stuff taking up perfectly good brain cells in my head. I'm trying, and actually succeeding most days, to replace all those things with good memories. A quick mental SAVE of the pretty coral colored flowers on a stalk I see out in the backyard when I walk Jack. A mental SAVE of something one of my kids said that was funny. The way my husband looks at me. Knowing I'm loved like no other woman on earth.

Those things can happily copy over those misplaced brain cells in the hard drive that is my brain. Try it. Defrag your brain and get rid of those ugly thoughts and feelings that have been taking up space for so long. You don't need them. Overwrite those thoughts and feelings with happy thoughts and loving feelings. Replace them with remembered joy.

Thought for the day: "The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel."


No comments: