Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Large Adoptive Families-Why We Do It



We've been parenting for more than 38 years now. Since our first was born in 1969. Over those years we have been the parents of 21 children, and about ten others who were with us temporarily, including four children who now make their home in heaven.

This video is what drives all of us large adoptive families. The knowledge that there still is one child out there who needs a family to call his/her own. For us, it's agony knowing that there are such hurting children. It's not just "Oh what a shame, where's my ipod?"

We stopped adopting in 1993. It was the right thing to do, although it made me heartsick. My husband is 61 now, and I'm about three months from that myself. I'm glad all our children are growing up-not that we will ever be done parenting, as the majority of our children are developmentally delayed, most functioning in the trainable MR range.

It is a joy each new year to sit and think about how each child has grown in the past twelve months. Behavior-wise, there are only two stinkers. But even they have improved this year.

Have I improved? I know I have. I'm more positive in my outlook. Little things don't bother me as much, and actually, neither do big things. I'm secure in my knowledge that we've created a wonderful life together, my husband and I and all our children.

Happy New Year, everyone. May you be the home for that waiting child. And may you be blessed with peace-financial, moral, social and spiritual PEACE.

No comments: