Thursday, November 29, 2007

Merry Christmas From the Government-NOT!

Here we are, waiting for Dec 1st to come around so all the kids' SSI payments are in the bank, so we can do some Christmas shopping. Now, I'm not talking about big shopping, as we only spend an average of $25 per kid each year.

Like most large adoptive families of children with special needs, we operate on a low amount of income. Ours is dependent upon the children's SSI payments, my husband's meager retirement benefits and what he makes as a bagger at a grocery store.

The checks are deposited on the 30th of the month directly into our bank account. We just got a call from SSI, with no warning, that they have stopped the payments for FIVE out of our nine kids.

That's more than half our total income. Merry Christmas. Instead of trying to eek out enough money for Christmas gifts, this year we're going to be trying to eek out money to feed our family, not to mention paying the mortgage, health insurance, van payment and electric bills.

All this is because of a mistake on THEIR part. They will not, however, sit down and discuss the matter with us. It's been decided. It will take months to get it back.

Merry Christmas to you, too, SSI.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry. That really bites, doesn't it? I can't imagine what we would do in your situation! It is so frustrating to be in the position of having to scrimp for your kiddos, especially at Christmas.

I've been reading your site for a couple of weeks now. Sorry I didn't introduce myself sooner. I'm Lori, and my blog is at www.homeschoolblogger.com/leastofthese. I'm an adoptive momma to 8 (3are special needs, would love to adopt more) children (2 are birth) through the foster system.

Anyway, I do hope they can figure out the problem and clear it up SOON!!!! Do you know anyone who could pull strings for you? How about a former adoption worker or a subsidy worker? Or you could just go and camp out in front of the desk of the SSI worker who is putting you off? ;)

~Lori in KY