Tuesday, February 10, 2009

about "Octo Mom"

read: http://www.parentdish.com/2009/02/09/octuplet-mom-has-no-idea-what-shes-doing-says-grandma/

I don't know the woman who is being called "Octo Mom", but I know that having a lot of infants to care for plus a lot of slightly older kids CAN be done.

I think the media and the world is assuming again that if you have that many kids, then you must be crazy.

I adopted 6 newborns in the stretch of 6 months, along with 15 other kids who ranged in age from 2 to 18. All but three handicapped. The infants were all handicapped as well. I had no help, other than DH. I lived in an 1800 sq ft home. Two of my kids were terminal.

Yeah, I was tired, but I was incredibly fulfilled.

At one point a couple years later (by CPS orders) I DID have to go see a psychiatrist to see "What is wrong with you that you adopted so many children.) The shrink said I was of high intelligence, college educated, had a stable marriage and that I was very stable mentally.

There have been times, though when CPS was involved, that if my kids had all been normal, that I'm 100% certain that they would have taken them away. If there had been waiting homes for them, they would have been gone. So having medically and mentally involved kids really helped there.

Like I said, I don't know this lady. I know her mother is tired of parenting and has a right to say, NO I don't want to parent anymore kids. But why can't the community step up and help her out like they do for triplets, quads and quints? Oh, wait a minute-she must be nuts to have so many kids.

And then there is the thing about being asked to kill off several of the babies so there would be fewer born. I personally could never do that. NEVER. Perhaps we should write this lady a letter of support. Or at least send a letter to the editor.

No comments: