Monday, June 9, 2008

Mystery Solved-Bad Tomatoes


I have had the rather unpleasant experience since the beginning of May of having diarrhea several times a week, and sometimes nausea. Always at night and for the whole night. Other than that I've felt well. But this has become disconcerting to the point where I was considering going to the doctor for it.

Today my husband tells me that he just read about a fifteen state recall of tomatoes. My state is one of those. Not all tomatoes, just the ones that are picked green and gas riped...aka most supermarket tomatoes out there.

The culprit is salmonella. And I've been the major eater of this veggie/fruit or whatever it is. I use them in sandwiches.

The recall doesn't apply to vine ripened tomatoes. And you can tell if they are vine ripened because they still have the vine stuck to them. Of course they are more expensive.

I'm just glad that my kids aren't particularly fond of tomatoes, or we'd have been in for one horrible sickness spell.

No comments: