Thursday, June 26, 2008

Down Syndrome

Quite often I get phone calls from colleges, trade schools and the army, nay and marines for one of my adult kids who have Down syndrome. Yesterday I got a call from Lincoln College and they asked to speak to William. I replied, "William is a 20 year old young man who has Down Syndrome. He won't be attending college."

The lady said, "Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that!"

I get that all the time. What's funny is that I'm not sorry Will has DS. He wouldn't be the WIll I know and love if he didn't have DS. And Will, himself, isn't concerned that he has DS. He could care less. He's happy.

Some people think that it's a tragedy that a child is born with Down Syndrome. I don't think it's any more a tragedy than a child is born with, say, blue eyes. It's how God made him, and I'm fine with that. So is Will.

Speaking of adults with DS, Matt and Jennifer, both 23, go to the regional Hab Center to work every day. They get up at 6 and take a bus downtown to the center, work all day for a paycheck and take the bus home. Every morning, Matt makes a bag lunch for both himself and Jennifer.

Something happened to Matt's funding stream, and for a time now he's had to stay home on Tuesdays and Thursdays. He could sleep in, but Matt gets up those days and faithfully makes Jen her sandwich and packs her lunch. THAT'S Down Syndrome for you.

No comments: