Friday, November 30, 2007

Foster and Adoptive Parents Legal Plan

I belong to a legal plan that is specifically designed to help adoptive and foster families in time of need. I called them today and talked with my plan attorneys, who live in the next city over. They are going to place the problem with a local attorney that specializes in Social Security issues. I was told we can make an appeal. I just hope we can get this worked out before the end of the month.

This is the second time in two months that I've used the legal plan. I stupidly got my very first speeding ticket in my 42 years of driving. They assigned an attorney locally who specializes in traffic cases, and I don't even have to go to court. He is going for me and thinks he can get me off on a technicality, or at the very least get a lower fine.

We signed up for the plan because in the past when we have had rounds with CPS we've had to rely on court appointed attorneys, and while they are nice people, they do not have the time to build a case for you. You could end up losing, or even having your child taken from you. The legal plan covers hearings, trials and even criminal cases. It pays for all that stuff.

Imagine having a problem concerning one of your children and not being able to afford an attorney to help him. The legal plan solves that and so much more. It brings you up to the level of a wealthy family who can afford a good attorney.

They don't cover anything that happened prior to your signing up for the legal plan, or anything that has to do with drugs or drinking. It covers you and your children who still live at home.

The cost is incredibly reasonable for what it provides. It's just $15 a month.

If you are an adoptive or foster family and have teens or special needs kids, or a super sized family like we do, you can't say, Well, if I ever get into trouble with CPS then I'll get the legal plan. Of if my kid ever gets arrested, then I'll get it. Then it's too late.

And if you have a very large adoptive family, say 10 or more kids, then the question is not IF I ever have a problem with CPS, it's WHEN...because they are after every family that doesn't look like the average one.

No, they don't cover adoption or guardianship costs. That's not their goal.

My advice is to visit The Foster and Adoptive Parents Legal Plan Site and GET IT. Go to the contact page and phone up Marilyn or David and give them a call.

Anyone who works with children or the disabled NEEDS this plan.

$15 a month gives you a real secure feeling that if a problem arises, you can have all the legal help you will need.

No comments: